- 1 chicken, 4-5 pounds
- 1 carrot, peeled and quartered
- 2 celery ribs, cut in 2" pieces
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 10 parsley stems
- 2 bay leaves
- Water to cover
- 10 star anise
- 10 cloves
- 10 coriander seeds, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon Szechuan pepper, ground
- 4 split lemongrass stalks
- 3" piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 6 stems fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 lemon, quartered
1. Place the chicken, carrot, celery, onion, peppercorns, parsley stems and bay leaves in a large pot and fill with water to cover.
2. Add optional flavorings as desired.
3. Bring the water to a boil and allow to boil for 2 minutes.
4. Remove pot from heat. Cover tightly and allow to steep for 4 hours.
5. Remove chicken to a side plate. When cool, remove chicken skin and discard. Refrigerate chicken for later use.
6. Bring cooking liquid to a boil and reduce by half.
7. Strain broth and refrigerate overnight. Remove and discard congealed fat.
Stephencooks – http://www.stephencooks.com/