Spaghetti Squash and Shrimp with Lemongrass-Peanut Sauce
- 1 spaghetti squash, about 2 pounds
- 2 stalks lemongrass, about 6" each, white part only, chopped
- 8 large shallots, peeled and sliced (divided)
- 1" ginger, peeled and chopped
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons concassé (tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped)
- 1 small hot green chile, seeded, cut in slivers
- 1/2 cup homemade unsalted chicken broth (or water)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled
- 1 teaspoon cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
1. Prick squash skin all around with a fork. Rub with 1 tablespoon olive oil and bake for 1 hour in a preheated 400º oven.
2. Meanwhile, place the lemongrass, half the shallots, the ginger, lime zest, peanut butter, turmeric, tomato concassé, green chile and chicken broth or water in the bowl of a food processor. Process a minute or two until the mixture is a thick paste. Turn the mixture into a pan and cook over medium heat, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and keep warm.
3. Dry the shrimp thoroughly -- they won't caramelize properly if they're wet. Place 1 teaspoon olive oil in a heavy skillet on high heat. When the oil starts to smoke add the shrimp, in one layer, and let them cook, undisturbed, for 90 seconds. Turn the shrimp and cook 60 seconds more, pressing them down with a spatula. Remove to a side plate, sprinkle with coarse sea salt and, if desired, a squeeze of lime juice. Keep warm.
4. Sauté the remaining sliced shallots in a small amount of olive oil until crisp. Drain on a paper towel.
5. When the squash is done, let it cool until it can be handled, then cut it into two long halves. With a soup spoon, scrape out the seeds. With a fork, pull the meat into shreds and place in a mixing bowl. Add the lemongrass sauce to the squash and toss to combine. Correct the seasoning.
To serve, place a mound of the squash on a serving plate. Add the shrimp and garnish with the crisp shallots and chopped cilantro. Serve immediately.
Stephencooks – http://www.stephencooks.com/