Authentic Baltimore Crab Cakes
Recipe adapted from an old Baltimore recipe contributed by Betty Wasserman.
20 cakes, approximately 1 1/4" diameterIngredients
- 1 pound fresh lump crabmeat
- 1 egg, beaten with a fork
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon parsley, minced
- 8 saltines crumbled – or 2 slices crustless bread cut in small pieces
- Corn flour for dredging
- 2 cups vegetable oil
1. Mix all ingredients and shape into 1" balls, working quickly to minimize handling. Flatten the balls with a knife blade or your fingers.
2. Dredge the cakes in corn flour. Let them rest for about 15 minutes. In a 2 quart or larger saucepan, heat the oil to 370º and fry the crabcakes in small batches until golden brown (about 4 minutes).
3. Drain the crabcakes on a rack. Keep them warm on another rack in a 200º oven while frying subsequent batches.
Alternate method: form into 6 hamburger-sized patties and sauté in 2 tablespoons vegetable oil until golden brown.
Stephen's Crabcake Aïoli
Makes about 1/4 cup.Ingredients
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/2 tablespoon minced chives
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ketchup
Salt and hot sauce to taste
Mix all ingredients together.
Stephencooks – http://www.stephencooks.com/