Baby Greens with Golden Beets, Roasted Grape Tomatoes and Parmesan Shavings
- 3 medium golden beets
- 4 ounce mixture of mesclun greens, baby spinach and baby arugula, washed and dried
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 ounce Parmeggiano Reggiano
- 3 tablespoons fresh tarragon, minced
- 1/3 seedless European cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced thinly
- Additional salt and hot sauce to taste
1. Toss the beets in a scant tablespoon of olive oil and roast, uncovered, in a 400º oven until fork tender (about an hour, depending on the size of the beets). Allow to cool, then peel. Cut into 1/4" x 1/4" sticks.
2. Meanwhile, halve the grape tomatoes and toss with one tablespoon olive oil and the minced garlic. Roast about 30 minutes at 350º, cut side up, on a baking sheet, until shriveled but not completely dry. Season with a little salt and marinate in the oil from the baking sheet until time to serve.
3. Meanwhile, make the vinaigrette by whisking the 2 tablespoons olive oil, vinegar, 2 tablespoons of the tarragon, the salt, the hot sauce and the mustard until combined. Thin with a few drops of water if necessary. Drop in the smashed garlic clove (to be removed before serving).
4. Remove the garlic clove from the dressing. Add the dressing to the greens and toss. Then lay the beets, tomatoes, cucumbers and radishes over the greens. Scatter on the reserved tarragon.
5. Shave the parmeggiano reggiano with a vegetable peeler or cheese plane and scatter over the salad.
Stephencooks – http://www.stephencooks.com/