Recipe courtesy Ann LaFarge.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup cream style corn (or whole kernel, fresh or canned)
- 1 cup low fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons vegetabke oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten with a fork
1. Mix all ingredients, stirring only enough to combine.
2. Bake in a greased 8" pan in a preheated 400º oven for about 30 minutes, until tester comes out clean.
1. I've developed some variations over the years by adding one or more of the following: chopped sweet or hot red peppers, chopped green chile peppers, chopped cilantro., whole cumin seed.
2. Another variation I've developed is to preheat a greased skillet in the oven and then pouring the batter into the hot pan and baking, again at 400º. Baking time is shortened to about 20 minutes by this routine. This gives the cornbread a more pronounced crust, as shown in the picture.
Stephencooks – http://www.stephencooks.com/