Cauliflower "Chicken Fried Rice"
6 servings, about 1 1/4 cup each
- 1/2 head cauliflower (about 4 cups)
- 1 egg, beaten with a fork
- 1/2 red onion, 1/4" dice
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, 1/4" dice
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled, minced
- 1/3 cup frozen edamame or peas (shelled)
- 1 tablespoon ground fermented black bean sauce
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- 10 ounces cooked chicken,* cut in bite-size pieces (about 2 cups)
- 2 scallions (white and pale green parts only), minced
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
1. Remove green leaves from the cauliflower and shred it with the food processor shredder disk. (Alternative: shred with box grater, although this makes a different texture.) Place shredded cauliflower in sealed microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on full power for 4 minutes. Remove from microwave. Allow to rest five minutes with the cover in place.
2. Meanwhile, prepare a small sauté pan with cooking spray and cook the beaten egg on a hot fire, breaking into pieces when firm. Remove to a side plate.
3. Make the sauce: mix the soy sauce, chicken broth, rice wine and sesame oil and set aside.
4. Place 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a heavy skillet on high heat. When just starting to smoke, add the onion, garlic, carrot and ginger. Sauté 2 minutes, stirring. Add the black bean sauce and cook another two or three minutes until the carrot is just tender (add water if the mixture becomes too dry).
5. Add the chicken, bean sprouts and edamame or peas. Cook another 2 minutes or so, stirring, to warm.
6. Add the cooked egg, sauce and cauliflower and toss to combine. Correct seasoning.
Serve immediately, with the minced scallions scattered on top.
The Nutritional Estimate is based on skinless poached chicken.
Stephencooks – http://www.stephencooks.com/