Cauliflower with Yellow Lentils and Peas
Adapted from a recipe in Indian Vegetarian Food by Sumana Ray.
- 1 cup yellow lentils (red lentils or split green peas may be substituted)
- 3 cups cauliflower, cut into small flowerets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed (whole)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 green chillis, cut lengthwise
- 1/3 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Salt to taste
1. Bring 3 cups water to a boil and add the lentils. Stir, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Stir, and set aside, covered.
2. Meanwhile, place the cauliflower in a steamer basket or similar and steam, covered, for 5 minutes. Remove to a side bowl.
3. Heat the butter on medium high heat in a pan large enough to eventually hold all the ingredients comfortably. Add the cumin, bay leaves and green chillis and cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds. Add the turmeric and stir to combine. Add the lentils (including any liquid left in the pan), cauliflower and green peas. Stir gently to combine and rewarm the cauliflower and lentils. Season to taste.
Stephencooks – http://www.stephencooks.com/