Makes 20 half-cup servings.
This method makes a chunky-style applesauce. If you like yours on the smooth side use a potato masher to break up the chunks. Apple varieties and crop conditions differ so the sweetener and lemon quantities are approximate...adjust as necessary, to taste.Ingredients
- 4 to 4 1/2 lb cooking apples, peeled, cored, quartered and sliced thin (about 3 to 3 1/2 lb after prep)
- 1/2 lemon, quartered
- Cinnamon stick, 3 - 4"
- 6 tablespoons granulated no-calorie sweetener, such as Splenda
- 1/2 cup water
- Pinch salt
1. Place the apples, cinnamon, sweetener, water and salt in a pot over high heat. Squeeze the juice from the lemon sections into the pot through a sieve and then drop the rinds in. Discard the lemon seeds. Bring the mixture to a boil.
2. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes.
3. Remove from heat. Remove cinnamon stick and lemon sections.
4. Break up any large apple chunks with a wooden spoon.
5. Add sweetener or lemon juice to adjust taste if necessary.
Serve hot, cold or at room temperature. Can be frozen for up to six months.
Stephencooks – http://www.stephencooks.com/