8 Servings, about 1 cup each
- 1 pound green cabbage (about half a medium head – around 5 cups when shredded)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 large sweet green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 fresh green hot chilis, seeded and sliced in threads
- 1/2 cup (packed) cilantro leaves, washed and minced
- 2/3 cup low fat plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Salt and hot sauce to taste
1. Remove the core and tough outer leaves of the cabbage. Using a mandoline slicer (or a knife if you are very good) cut the cabbage into fine shreds.
2. Place all the vegetables and the cilantro in a large bowl and toss to mix.
3. Whisk the yogurt, vinegar, sugar and lime juice together, then add the dressing to the vegetables. Toss to mix well and season to taste with salt and hot sauce.
1. Make ahead. All coleslaws are better if made the day before and refrigerated overnight.
2. Green chilis. Be careful not to handle cut hot peppers or their seeds and trimmings with your bare hands. It's much too easy to transfer some of the hot oil to your eyes, with uncomfortable results. I keep a small box of latex gloves in the kitchen, or you can improvise with a plastic sandwich bag.
Stephencooks – http://www.stephencooks.com/