Pistachio Ice Cream
Note: this recipe requires an ice-cream maker.
10 half-cup servings
- 2 cups unsalted shelled pistachios
- 1/2 cup granulated no-calorie sweetener, such as Splenda
- 3 cup whole milk
- 1/8 teaspoon (scant) almond extract
- 6 large egg yolks
1. Grind 1 cup of the pistachios and 1/4 cup of the sweetener to a powder in a food processor.
2. Mix the pistachio-sweetener powder with 2 cups of the milk and bring to a boil in a heavy saucepan. Remove from heat.
3. Mix almond extract into the pistachio-milk mixture.4. Whisk the egg yolks and remaining 1/4 cup sweetener in a medium bowl until yolks are a lighter yellow.
5. Whisk the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture by spoonsful. Return the mixture to the saucepan.
6. Cook the egg-milk mixture over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the custard thickens and leaves a path when a spoon is drawn across it (about 10 minutes). Do not allow to boil. If a kitchen thermometer is available, remove from heat when the mixture reaches 180º.
7. Strain the cooked egg-milk mixture through a sieve (use a rubber spatula to force it through the mesh if it's too thick). Chill until cold, at least 2 hours.
8. Stir in the remaining cup of milk.
9. Chop the remaining cup of pistachios and add to the ice cream mix.
10. Process the mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to a plastic container and freeze.
Can be prepared up to 3 days ahead.
Stephencooks – http://www.stephencooks.com/