Shad Roe with Lemon Butter and Capers
- 1 pair shad roe lobes, about 8 ounces total
- 1/2 small tomato, peeled, seeded, chopped fine
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon salt-cured capers, soaked, rinsed, pressed dry
Preheat the oven to 350º.
1. Slowly melt the butter in a 6" sauté pan or similarly-sized vessel. Stir in the garlic and tomato and remove from heat.
2. Wash the roe lobes and, with a small sharp knife, remove the tissue connecting the lobes, being careful to keep the enclosing membrane more or less intact.
3. Place the roe lobes in the pan with the melted butter. Spoon some of the butter over the exposed top surface of the lobes and scatter on a half-teaspoon coarse salt.
4. Roast in the preheated 350º oven 10 to 12 minutes, until the lobes feel firm to the touch but still have some give, like a ripe avocado.
5. When done, lift the roe from the butter with a slotted spoon and allow to drain a few seconds. Pour the butter from the pan through a sieve. Reserve the strained solids and set the drained butter aside for another use.
To serve, spread the tomato garlic mixture on the plate, then place the shad roe – whole or cut as desired – on the plate. Pour the lemon juice over them and scatter on the capers. Serve immediately, with peppermill handy.
Stephencooks – http://www.stephencooks.com/