Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler
6 individual half-cup servings
For the filling:
- 3 cups strawberries, sliced
- 3 cups rhubarb, sliced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 to 1 cup no-calorie granulated sweetener, such as Splenda, to taste
- 1 tablespoon uncooked tapioca
- 2 tablespoons Irish whiskey, such as Jamesons (or similar)
For the biscuits:
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour, plus more for the board
- 1 tablespoon granulated sweetener, such as Splenda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons canola or other vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk plus 3 tablespoons for brushing the crust
Make the filling:
1. Place the fruit and the lemon juice in a saucepan on medium low heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
2. Stir in a half-cup of the sweetener and taste the mixture. Add more sweetener if necessary, to taste.
3. Stir in the tapioca and whiskey and then divide the filling among six half-cup ramekins. They will be nearly full.
Make the biscuit:
1. Preheat the oven to 425º.
2. Combine the flour, sweetener and baking powder in a bowl.
3. Add the milk and oil and stir with a fork just enough to mix.
4. Turn the dough out on a floured board and roll or pat the dough to approximately 1/2 inch thick.
5. Cut the dough into six rounds with a cutter slightly larger in diameter than the ramekins.
6. Place the dough rounds on the filled ramekins and brush with milk. Sprinkle with a little sugar if desired.
Bake in the preheated oven 12 to 15 minutes, until nicely browned. Serve warm.
Stephencooks – http://www.stephencooks.com/